Why would your family dentist recommend an electric toothbrush?
• An electric toothbrush facilitates more thorough oral hygiene.
Why is an electric toothbrush more effective?
• There is a tendency for many of us to brush TOO HARD when we brush our teeth manually. This can damage the gums and lead to degradation of tooth enamel.
• The bristles on a manual toothbrush don’t necessarily remove all of the plaque and tartar built up between the teeth. Electric toothbrushes provide superior plaque removal. This is accomplished through the combination of motion and equal pressure from the brush.
• An electric toothbrush’s rotating head has bristles which can reach further. This enables the user to clean hard to reach places that we often miss with manual brushing. Eliminating the plaque and particles lodged in the crevices of the teeth means healthier teeth and gums, and fresher breath.
• Oftentimes, those who brush manually do a good job on one side of their mouth, but are less thorough on the opposite side. For example, a right handed person may clean the left side of their mouth fairly well, but then may miss areas on the right side of the mouth simply due to the angles that can be hard to reach by the hand on the same side.
• Electronic toothbrushes are generally programmed to ensure each quadrant of your mouth receives a better, longer, more effective tooth-brushing.
The friendly and efficient team at Distinctive Dentistry work together to ensure you have the best oral health available. This includes attention to detail in the fundamental elements of good oral hygiene, and keeping abreast of cutting edge technology. Our staff can show you how to properly use electronic toothbrushes, if you choose this option to enhance your oral hygiene routine.
Distinctive Dentistry is honored that Dr. Keith Phillips was selected yet again as a “Top Dentist” in Prosthodontics by Seattle Met Magazine. (January 2018)
Dr. Keith Phillips is a Board Certified Prosthodontist with over 25 years of expertise as a specialist, including cosmetic dentistry, family dentistry, and sedation dentistry. He is a contributing author to the book “Implant Aesthetics” which is the “go-to-how-to” re-source for other dentists working in this field. He is an Affiliate Associate Professor at the University of Washington, University of Pennsylvania, and the University of South-ern California. He lectures nationally and internationally, has extensive textbook and professional journal publications, and is a former Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Dental Association.
Distinctive Dentistry serves patients in the greater Tacoma area including Gig Harbor, Federal Way and Puyallup, WA. Our office is located at 5615 Valley Ave. E., Tacoma, WA 98424 — just off the freeway with plenty of free parking.