Did you know that sedation dentistry is just one of the ways to make a trip to your dentist an anxiety-free one? Here, we’ll examine the full range of patient comfort techniques and their effectiveness:
- Oral sedation: Benzodiazepines, usually in pill or capsule form, are a very effective moderate strength sedative. They give patients a calm, dream-like result where their experience of their treatment that is often completely forgotten. They are non-addictive and have minimal side effects, although you will have to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery up to 24 hours after treatment.
- IV sedation: Faster acting than oral sedation, this medication can also be monitored, increased and decreased during the dental procedure. This makes it ideal for treatments that take a significant amount of time.
- Distraction techniques: Listening to music is a great way to keep your mind off your dental procedure. This is especially effective if a patient’s anxiety is triggered by drill sounds.
- Environment: A calming environment goes a long way to keeping anxiety at bay. Soothing colors, comfortable chairs and a warm blanket helps a lot of patients to feel more secure in the dental office.
- Control: Often, anxious patients are worried as much about pain as they are about noises, having dental tools in their mouths and even moving during a procedure. Giving patients a signal – even if it is just raising their hand – to indicate that they need a quick break, indicate pain or just to get a breath of air will go a long way to keeping anxiety at bay.
At Dr. Keith Phillips’ practice in Tacoma, every member of our staff prioritizes patient comfort and care from the moment you step through our doors. If you’d like to find out more about how we can make your dental experience a more positive one, please contact us today or book an appointment.