What to do if you crack, fracture or knock out a tooth:
If you crack, fracture or accidentally knock out a tooth, it is essential that you contact your family dentist IMMEDIATELY. Your tooth may be saved if your dentist has a chance to repair the damage shortly after the accident.
What you can do to improve the odds of saving the tooth.
- Pick the tooth up by the crown rather than by the root.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Apply gauze or a moistened teabag to the injured tooth socket to stop the bleeding.
- Rinse the tooth in water, but don’t scrub it.
- Place the tooth back in the socket if possible, and gently bite down on the tooth using gauze or moistened teabag to stabilize the tooth. You can also put the tooth between you lip and gum to keep it moist.
- Another way to preserve the tooth while you are en route to the dentist is to put the tooth in a container and cover it with milk.
- You may want to put a cold pack on your face to reduce facial swelling
- Get to your family dentist without any delay. Time is of the essence. A few minutes can mean the difference of saving your tooth or not.
If you have a dental emergency don’t hesitate to call Distinctive Dentistry at any time. Your dental health is our top priority.
If you aren’t able to save the tooth, don’t despair. Amazing technology in the fields of Cosmetic Dentistry and Prosthodontics enable specialists with solid expertise to repair your smile.
Dr. Keith Phillips has more than 25 years of experience in family dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and Prosthodontics. He is recognized as one of the top dentists in the State of Washington. Additionally, Dr. Keith Phillips is a former Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Dental Association and is an Affiliate Associate Professor at the University of Washington, the University of Southern California, and the University of Pennsylvania. He lectures nationally and internationally on implant dentistry.
Distinctive Dentistry is located just off the freeway in Fife, WA. We serve patients in the greater Tacoma area including Gig Harbor, Federal Way and Puyallup.